Saturday, May 4, 2013

First Post

05/04/2013: "Karibu Sana "to my next blog.  You are" very welcome" to this new place with pictures I take and stories that I write. I am glad to share them with you. Like the first blog " Barabaraandlarry on Safari" this one includes some Kiswahili. And, like the first one, this includes a dedication. When we dedicated the first blog in 2008 to Pat Euphemia Cavanaugh, a fabulous one in a million person, neither of us ever thought that some day one of us would be dedication material. Pat died, for no apparent reason from lung cancer. Not that you have to be dead to be dedication material but that seems to be the trend here.
  So this blog is dedicated to Barbara Broda Adrian who died, for no apparent reason, from breast cancer.  Barbara was my wife, my lover, my better half who became my better two-thirds who was too young, too smart and too valuable to the world to die. But she did. I would argue she was too beautiful to die but beauty has never been proven to be associated with longevity. Barbara was a mother, a teacher, and a budding geologist who believed like me and like the address of this blog, in one flat world. I think we both correctly believe (d) that we were lucky enough to be in a position to be able to actively work towards that goal. So she worked on knocking down figurative mountains that separate people. She  worked on erasing the old nomenclature of first world, second world, third world. She did it through education. By working to level the world, to bring the poor up and create not 3 worlds but one flat world. I know neither of us were nieve enough to ever think that one flat world was a reality. But we weren't cynical enough to believe improvement was impossible. My personal belief is we are here to make things better. That is what I do. It's utterly simple. I don' t achieve my goal every day but that is my goal. So when Barbara died I felt like I lost 2/3 of my self. I felt like I lost my legs, I felt truncated. And with out legs I wasn't sure I wanted to continue onward toward my goal. My children lost their compass and we all lost our home. But we are growing new legs, we will get on a new course and we will find our way home. And I will travel again.
One last Swahili link. It is no coincidence to me that the Swahili word "Barabara" has  two meanings.
1) road  2)excellent. So this blog among other things is about my traveling down an excellent road.
I am sure Barbara would want that.
Karibu sana.




No comments:

Post a Comment